Friday, May 1, 2009

Breast Questions

Q. Help! My baby is a year old and although I’ve lost all my pregnancy weight, my breasts sag and I still have a tummy. What are my options?

A. Pregnancy and breast-feeding often changes the shape of a woman’s body. If a consistent exercise program doesn’t achieve the desired results, there are several body-contouring procedures that can reshape the breasts and abdomen. The type of surgery best for you will depend on your age, size and skin elasticity.

Q. Should I get a mammogram if I have breast implants?

A. Mammograms are critical in detecting cancer, and women over 40 with implants should have them yearly. Make sure your mammographer has experience imaging breasts with implants and knows the special views needed to screen for cancer.

Q. What is the advantage of using a textured breast implant as opposed to a smooth one?

A. Some studies show a decreased risk of scar tissue with textured implants. However, textured implants may increase the risk of visible rippling, particularly when implants are placed above the muscle or in women with very thin skin.

Q. How will I know if my breast implant has ruptured?

A. It is usually obvious when a saline implant ruptures because the breast will become smaller as the water in harmlessly absorbed. A ruptured silicone implant can be more difficult to detect and may require radiological tests, such as a sonogram or MRI.

Q. What is considered the best placement for breast implants, above or below the muscle?

A. Although once exclusively placed over the chest muscle, many doctors today prefer the “submuscular” approach. Where the implants are placed depends largely on the amount of existing breast tissue, breast shape, type of implant used and the desired end result.


Answers provided by richardson, wylie and plano area plastic surgeon, Diane Gibby M.D.

http://www.drgibby.com